Sunday, May 1, 2011

R.C. Gorman: Early Prints and Drawings, 1966-1974

Where: National Museum of the American Indian

When: through May 1, 2011

I've not been going to out to museums lately, and so have fallen a bit behind in my reviews. This show closes today, so I hope that if you're an R.C. Gorman fan, you had a chance to go see this show.

I had never heard of R.C Gorman before seeing this exhibit, so I feel a bit at a loss to discuss the work. Obviously, it was meant to show the foundations of his later pieces, and if I knew more about it (meaning if I knew anything at all about it), I'd be able to comment on that. As it is, this was my first exposure to this artist, so I can only talk about this exhibit on its own.

The pieces that really drew my attention were those featuring lots of color. I hadn't realized before how much I like art that is quite colorful; pen and ink drawings don't really do much for me. "The Green Shawl," with its greens, fuschias and blues caught my eye, along with "Santo Domingo," in which the teal of the beads stands out against the white and taupe of the figures and ground. "Yei-bi-cha" has great colors, much more so that his other works.

"Homage to Spider Woman" (depicted above) is wonderful - there are four parts to this work, which is a series of blanket designs - I'd love to have such a beautiful blanket!

Verdcit: This is a small show, and easily manageable in a lunch hour. The American Indian Museum is a bit of a hike from my office, so I had to skim through the display in order to get back to work, but if you have more time, you might plan to go when a live performance is going on in the main lobby. I came in just as one was finishing. I didn't realize that's how they used that space - it has always seemed very pretty, but a bit wasteful to me before.

No comments:

Post a Comment