Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cornucopia: Ceramics from Southern Japan

Where: Freer Gallery of Art

When: until January 9, 2011

The Freer is one of my favorite museums. It's not very large, so even if I don't know exactly where my exhibit is, it takes only a short time to find it. It's also very quiet. Not may people seem to know about it, or visit, which is lovely. It's a closed collection - nothing new is added, and nothing is deaccessioned. It's Mr. Freer's collection, and thus it will remain. There's something soothing about visiting: even though it's right on the Mall, with all its hustle and bustle, it's a place that invites contemplation. It's relaxing just to think about it.

I was able to do more than just think about it recently, as I visited this exhibit on Japanese ceramics. I don't know enough about porcelain to comment authoritatively on what I saw, but I found the Arita ceramics reminded me strongly of Delft pottery - lots of blue and white. I also noted that the makers of this porcelain must have been quite busy, as they were required to send 2000 pieces to the shogun and his officials every year. Very nice, if you're the recipient of these art works; not so nice if you're the one having to produce all this on deadline!

I saw several examples of tea bowls - a lovely item with beautiful proportions. There were so many serving items for tea that I was stunned. Here, it's hard to get one cup of tea in a restaurant! How nice to be in a culture where one's beverage of choice is so popular that there are countless products to facilitate one's imbibing.

Another item I particularly enjoyed was a tea ceremony water jug with a plum tree design. Really lovely, with delicate flowers. I'd like to be the government official receiving this!

Verdict: It's always worth a trip to the Freer. This exhibit is very nice, especially if you like Japanese art or tea ceremonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment